birding-aus

TRIP REPORT: Twitchathon

Subject: TRIP REPORT: Twitchathon
From: (Scott Chandry)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 10:14:14 +0000 (MUT)
Congratulations to all of the twitchathon teams, there were lots of great
totals and everyone seemed to look terrific and wide awake at the barbecue

We, the Plain Silly Wanderers (John Boyce, Scott Chandry and non team
member but designated driver Cecilia Chandry) decided to follow Lawrie
Conole and the Common Driving Petrolheads lead and submit a complete trip
report for our first twitchathon.  Our final total was 127.

Our start was near Little Desert N.P. (LDNP) in western Victoria.  We did
a bit of scouting on the Friday and early Saturday before the competition
began.  Our best sighting of the trip was before the start of the
twitchathon.  During our drive from LDNP to Nhill for dinner we spotted
the face of a Barn Owl in the grass by the side of the road.  As we pulled
up and shut down the car it flew onto a fence post and gave us excellent
views until it decided that it was sick of us and took off.  Another
highlight was the seemingly uncountable 1000s of Banded Stilts in the
lakes near Natimuk south of LDNP.

During the twitchathon we had both good and bad luck.  On the bad side we
spotted some Pink-eared ducks at our starting point but lost sight of them
when the start time arrived, we didnAt bother to track them down because
they would be easy to get at Werribee sewage plant.  Normally they seem to
be there in the millions but on Sunday they must have had somewhere more
pleasant to go.  We lost lots of valuable daylight on the Saturday while
travelling on a dirt track and came upon a flock of about 100 sheep moving
slightly slower than walking pace.  We were within just a few hundred
metres of the wide paved road but couldnAt get by, we just waited to see
which came first, getting by the sheep or our car overheating.  Also, on
Fri & Sat we saw stacks of thornbills but once the counting began they
became so scarce that we thought we might not get any (we finally got some
but only two).  Although probably our worst miss was an Eastern yellow
robin.

On the good luck side, just after the sheep put us off schedule we arrived
at the Sanctuary Nature walk in LDNP and the Mallefowl had kindly left his
mound and come to the carpark to save us some time.  We were also lucky
enough to watch two Brown goshawks fight over a rabbit.  The Shy heathwren
which popped into view just long enough for us to count is was also a
bonus.  And, just when we had written off Yellow-tailed black cockatoo a
small flock flew past the car window on the road toward the Brisbane
Ranges while we were speeding along at 100 kph.

P. Scott Chandry

Full list follows:
Saturday:

Lakes near Natimuk and the roads between:

Aust. Shelduck
Blue-billed duck
Musk duck
Hardhead