birding-aus

Can Canaries change sex??

Subject: Can Canaries change sex??
From: Rhonda Boys <>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 12:38:49 +1000
Hi there,

I have a canary which I thought was a male, as it sings really well. I think
it is a roller. (I don't really know too much about them) Anyway I thought
I'd try breeding him this year. I brought another canary and they got on
really well. They have started nesting. The only thing is now they have
started to mate and low and behold what I thought was my male is acting like
a female should ( it built the nest) also sits in the nest after mating, the
other bird does not sing very much but acts like the male during mating. Can
female birds sing really well?  Lucky for me the female I brought is
actually a male I suppose. Can anyone help me with this problem?

                                                                     ()~~~
      ######            E-Mail Address:       /   *_)
     $( () )$   Hullo from down under !                 /              \