birding-aus

Eastern Rosellas

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Eastern Rosellas
From: "Osborn, Paul PR" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 11:38:36 +1000
I've just observed a pair of Eastern Rosellas which I think are nesting,
or thinking of nesting, in a hollow in the side of the building in which
I work. The male perched on a ledge above the hole while the female went
inside for about five minutes. When the female emerged, the male flew
off but the female remained in a nearby tree. The hole in question is, I
believe, an old one which used to house a downpipe for stormwater runoff
but is no longer used for this purpose (after a number of occasions when
the gutters couldn't cope with the amount of rain and the roofed leaked,
a new system was put in to remove the water more rapidly). Has anyone
observed this species nesting in such places before? I've only ever
found their nests in tree hollows and the occasional hollow fence post.
Paul Osborn