birding-aus

MIGRANTS IN CAPTIVITY

Subject: MIGRANTS IN CAPTIVITY
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 96 18:19 EST
Most of the long distance migrants held at Taronga Zoo are birds handed in
injured and not suitable for release. However, we do have some short haul
species in the collection that might be rehabilitated and released and we
have some migrant species on the Plan that we would add if they were handed
in: eg Dicrurus bracteatus Drongo is a member of a Family we would like to
represent and part of the local fauna we would like to interpret.
We have not noticed any behavioural changes in migrant species in the
relevant migration periods. However, we are now logging activities formally
and are looking for publications documenting similar observations. A cursory
search turned up very little. We are already looking at obvious parameters
like changes in weight, patterns of moult etc, but would be grateful for
advice of any publication relevant to more subtle physiological changes,
behavioural changes etc. and the possible ramifications to the welfare of
migrant species held in captivity.
Thanks
Paul
Paul Andrew