birding-aus

28.4.96. Wollongong Pelagic trip

Subject: 28.4.96. Wollongong Pelagic trip
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 11:24:19 EST10
28.4.96 WOLLONGONG PELAGIC SEABIRD TRIP

Departed at 7.10 am and returned at 5.30 pm.
1 Metre swell, 10 knot winds.
We reached 30 Nautical Miles East of WOLLONGONG.

We had a good trip with the main highlight being an adult BULLER'S ALBATROSS.
Other minor highlights were PacifiC Gull and 2 Pied Cormorants. Other We had
total of 18 species.

Those on board (19); Phil Hansbro (leader), Tony Palliser, Alex Watson, John
Reidy, Chris Brandis, Peter Lansley, Ian McMahon, Natasha Schedvin, Rory
O'Brien, Heather Gibbs, Paul McDonald, Richard Yank, Bill McLean, Roan Clark,
Chris McGuigan, Doris Graham, Jo Wienke, Lawrie Living and Graham ?.

THE BIRDS

Black-browed Albatross (10+, at least 2 of which were of the subspecies
impavida)
Shy Albatross (1 Adult)
Yellow-nosed Albatross (50+)
BULLER'S ALBATROSS (1 Adult gave excellent views for 15 minutes, this is the
11th record for Wollongong being recorded on 8 previous trips, but only the
3rd record in the last 5 years)
Solander's Petrel (20+)
White-headed Petrel (1)
Fairy Prion (10+)
Short-tailed Shearwater (20+)
Fluttering Shearwater (15+)
Australasian Gannet (10+)
Australian Pelican (6)
PACIFIC GULL  (1 Juvenile, it is hard to believe but this is only the 4th
record for      Wollongong, but they are regular in the harbour in Winter)
Kelp Gull (5+)
Silver Gull (300+)
Crested Tern (5+)
White-fronted Tern (2)
Little Pied Cormorant (2)
PIED CORMORANT (2 flying South)

Please get back in touch if you would like to book any places on the boat.
If you would like any other information do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers
Phil Hansbro
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association

(h) 06-249 8234 (w) 06-249 3091
Fax; 06-249 4891