birding-aus

We need more rarities news

Subject: We need more rarities news
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 15:02:59 EST10
Dear All,
I have been going through my copy of Australian Birding and was very disturbed
to read the rarities round up. In the round up there are several birds that I
would have gone for but did not know about. I would have thought that I was
up-to-date with most rarities reported through the grapevine and that I back
this up by reading birding-aus every day. So how come I, and presumably most
everyone else, did not know about them.

To quote a few things from Australian Birding;

A few lucky birders managed to see the FIORDLAND PENGUIN at Kingston Beach
before it was confiscated by local rangers a FEW DAYS LATER!!!! It only takes a
day to get there!!

A RED-NECKED PHALAROPE was found at Price Saltfields on 26 Decenber and was
still there on 1 February!!!!

A Flock of 100+ SCARLET-CHESTED PARROTS was seen on or about 11 January between
Kingoonya and Elliston. Similar numberswere reported along the Stuart Highway
less than an hour north of glendambo on 23 January.

If I had have known about any/all of these I would have gone for them all but I
didn't. This would have really brightened up the first quarter of 1996 instead
of seeing the same things all the time (although the boat trips are still
mega!!).

I realise that these are real twitchers complaints and don't really concern
some people and lets not get into yet another boring thread about the morals
twitching. However, I'm sure I speak for lots of people when I say it would be
great to be better informed.