birding-aus

new bird for SA

Subject: new bird for SA
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:17:07 +0930
Pied Currawongs may be common in the east but as far as I can tell they are
not on the SA list.  Last week (April 14-20) I saw and heard (mainly heard)
a couple on the SA-Victoria border just east of Mount Gambier at a place
called Rennick (right on border).  We know they are close but I am not sure
we have ever had a definite record.  Are they invading sunny SA - I hope
not.

Also of interest close to the border (but not quite in SA) were Spotted
Quail-thrush and Powerful Owl (not seen by me, some doubt).  Neither has
been seen in the south-east of this state for a few decades as far as I
know.

Unfortunately not a lot of vegetation is left on the SA side of the border
- and the good stuff has been preferentially cleared.  Also there is a
definite lack of winter records from this area (understandably given the
persistent drizzle).

Hugh Possingham