birding-aus

Wader and Seabird watching in Tasmania

Subject: Wader and Seabird watching in Tasmania
From: (Murray Lord)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:39:33 +1000
This is a note to see if anyone is interested in joining a wader count or a
day's seabirding in Tasmania soon.

The far NW of Tasmania has several large wader roosts, and we have never
managed to get them all counted on the one day.  If we can get a few extra
people to help, we would like to make an attempt to do so on Sunday 28
January, as part of the national summer wader count.  These sites are
generally inaccessible, as they are on offshore islands that are hard to
get to.  We are hoping to get people to about four different sites, by boat
or 4WD.  The best of these sites have up to 7000 birds at high tide.  I
can't promise any unusual species, but many interesting colour banded birds
have been seen in the area, including several oystercatchers from Victoria
and a Curlew Sandpiper from Russia.  We will start from Smithton, and may
be able to arrange accommodation there for counters.

Also, Simon Plowright (who has started running bird tours in Tasmania) is
trying to get enough people to fill up a seabird trip from Eaglehawk Neck
on 13 February - a week day unfortnately.  The cost will be $80, and he
needs to know if people are interested by the end of THIS WEEK.  In the
past quite a few people have come down from Sydney and Melbourne for these
trips, so please spread the word to anyone you think may be interested.

If anyone is interested in either of these, please contact me.  As far as
the seabird trip is concerned, it is probably easier if you telephone me on
002 251034.