birding-aus

Re: Simpson & Day's Australian Field Guide, 5th Edition

Subject: Re: Simpson & Day's Australian Field Guide, 5th Edition
From: (Alan McBride)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 07:12:42 +1100
I hardly ever use Simpson & Day in the field, though this is not the reason
for this note ----

I find that to have Pizzey's guide with me is far more beneficial (I usually
carry the small single vol. Slater too) as Pizzey's text is just excellent
on distribution and other matters. I feel for Pizzey as the book never seems
to get the support it deserves for an excellent text!
Alan

>Viking (Penguin Books)  have recently published Simpson & Day's 5th edition of
>their Field Guide to the Birds of Australia; on the reverse title page the
year
>of publication is given as 1996.  The authors state that it contains major
>changes/updates:

<cut>

 But I continue to prefer Slater as a field guide, leaving Simpson & Day in
the car
>for reference, since half of it (the Handbook) just isn't field guide material.
>
>David
>David McDonald                 Voice:        +61-6-231 8904 (home)

Alan McBride
P O Box 190
Newport Beach
NSW 2106