birding-aus

birding highlights of '95

Subject: birding highlights of '95
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 13:53:54 +1000
Hello all,

I have been interested in the 1995 birding highlights that have been posted
over the last week.  It is a sad reflection of the amount of birding I have
done that my only highlight was not in Australia but in Sarawak, Borneo.  I
was in some flooded swamp forest near a small town called Lingga where I
heard this group of squawking, squabbling birds high in the canopy.
Looking up I had excellent views of a group of four Borneo Bristleheads
moving across the canopy.  These birds are like a cross between a crow and
Channel-billed cuckoo but the size of a Grey Shrike Thrush and are black
with red heads.  They are very rare because there is little habitat left
and they are restricted to Borneo (surprise surprise).

Merry Christmas to all
and happy birding in 1996.

David

David Milton    E-mail address:
CSIRO Division of Fisheries
PO Box 120
Cleveland 4163 Qld
AUSTRALIA
Ph: (61) 7 3286 8241    Fax: (61) 7 3286 2582
E-mail: