birding-aus

Shearwaters

To: "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Shearwaters
From: "Stuart, Alan AD" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 16:35:33 +1100
Last Sunday a group of us from Hunter Bird Observers Club were at Glenrock
Lagoon S.R.A., which is on the coast close to Newcastle.  Normally, this is
a good spot to visit as there is a variety of habitats to check out.  Heavy
rain on Sunday meant that it was less productive than usual.

There was a large flock (1000+) of dark shearwaters visible from the beach,
and obviously following a school of fish or whatever as it moved about.   It
seemed to be a mixed flock, as there were size differences.  Some birds that
came in closer we identified as Wedge-tailed Shearwater, but the smaller
birds stayed too far out to be sure of the identification.

On the shore, we found 4 dead birds.  The sea lice were very active, but
 the birds were mostly intact.  Based on past discussions in Birding-aus
about longevity of such carcases with sea-lice activity, I'd say that they
were fairly recent deaths.

One of the dead birds was a Short-tailed Shearwater and the other three were
Sooty Shearwater.  Presumably, then, these species were also in the flock
out to sea.

Alan Stuart