birding-aus

backyard lists

Subject: backyard lists
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 08:59:44 +1100
When I first broached the subject I said that our backyard list was 41 (for
an older Canberra suburb), since then it's gone up to 42, as it suddenly
occured to me that we hadn't counted Feral Pigeon (I refuse to call them
Rock Doves, I ask you....).

The thing I've really been surprised at is the number of open-country birds
that pass and stop briefly, ie Choughs, Red-rumped Parrots. We're
particularly pleased at having seen a Sacred Kingfisher recently. The
Gang-gangs are a bonus, and appear to be staying the summer.

When we lived in Brisbane we lived in another inner suburb, but had a sort
of rainforest gully behind the house which yielded Scrub Turkey, Brown
Honeyeater, WW Triller, Channel-billed Cuckoo and Koel amongst others. It
was near the river, but unfortunately out of sight of it, otherwise I might
have tried to sneak Brahminy Kite, Caspian and Gull-billed Terns &c on to
the list.
John Leonard
PO Box 243, Woden, ACT 2606, AUSTRALIA