birding-aus

re Ostrich

Subject: re Ostrich
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 95 12:08:13 EST
>Why should a bird be removed from a list because it can no longer be seen.
>I birded with an American who had seen Bachman's Warbler in 1939.  Should he
>no longer be able to count it because it's extinct?

>John Penhallurick

I agree with John, but then I would have to, having ticked them on a
station in SA in 1982. Mike Carter has written an article on the status
of these birds in the latest Australian Birding Assoc Newsletter for
anyone that is interested. In short I recall that these birds were once
wild but have since been rounded up.

Also I know of at least two observers that have seen the Black-headed
Mannikin back in the 60's in Sydney

Regards
Tony Palliser                         Phone    +61 2 9900 1678
                                      Fax      +61 2 9900 1669
                                      Email