birding-aus

Aust Magpies on the African Plains

Subject: Aust Magpies on the African Plains
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 10:45:06 +1000 (EST)
Last year at the Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo, an unfortunate Giraffe was
getting regular pecks on the head from a divebombing Magpie.  The Giraffe would
flinch at each attack and eventually decided to stroll off.

A couple of Magpies were eyeing me up yesterday in the grounds of the
Observatory (in the Warrumbungles at 1010m height) when I investigated the
pleading cheeps coming from a nest at the top of a large eucalypt.  I've not
been divebombed yet, but years ago, I had the full force of a Herring Gulls'
feet on the back of my head during a nest survey on a Scottish island.  It was
like a hammer blow.  Compared to that, being shat upon by the gulls was
almost pleasurable!

Rob McNaught