birding-aus

Re: interesting stuff I've seen

Subject: Re: interesting stuff I've seen
From: MR SR PYWELL <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:49:48 GMT+10
My first Spotless Crake ever down at Jell's Park (suburban Melb.) -
how uncommon are these? I've seen other crakes here several times but
never this one.

Two Bronzewings on a nature strip in suburban Melb. They are fairly
regular in nearby Jell's but this seemed weird to see them just
sitting on a nature strip.

Near Bridgewater, Vic., a Rufous Songlark apparently fighting with a
dead one on the road.  It was grappling with it and striking at it
with its feet.  The dead one was only very freshly dead and the other
continued to fly around calling and displaying whilst I checked the
dead bird.  I wonder whether it was hit by a car in mid-fight and the
other continued its attack or whetehr it hadf actually killed the
other bird or just what?

Sean Pywell.