birding-aus

Ticking introduced birds

Subject: Ticking introduced birds
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 95 21:56:04
Birders,

I record everything I see, irrespective of whether the birds are one of the
introduced birds, or some stray, or possible cage escapee or descendant etc.
As well as these being for my personal interest and use, the records are also
going to the NSW Bird Atlassers, and the two individual survey groups that I'm
involved in (Regent Honeyeater Surveys and the Bird Monitoring Project at
Homebush for the Sydney Olympic Organising Committee).

Hopefully these will eventually contribute in their own small way to building
up a picture regarding the birds, particularly to identify if introduced birds
are spreading out into new areas and therefore posing a threat to the native
birds.  I've heard that in Perth, they very quickly kill off certain
introduced birds, thus never giving them a chance to compete with the native
birds.

PS  I hate the Noisy Miners at the back of my place that harass all the other
birds (I'm at Concord West near Parramatta River and the
Concord/Yaralla/Rivendell Hospital gardens and paddocks).  The Miners have no
effect on the larger birds such as Pied Currawongs, Kookaburras, Grey
Butcherbird, Magpies and the Koels when they visit, and appear to have almost
no effect on the Rainbow Lorikeets which won't allow anything to detract them
from feeding on the flame trees, honey gem grevilleas etc. - and the Lorikeets
do nest nearby to my place.  However the Miners have an effect on the Eastern
Rosellas which are also attracted to the local berries/fruits that come out
about this time each year - the Rosellas come in and have a go at eating, but
generally leave within an hour due to the Miners' harrassment.

Small birds have almost totally disappeared from my backyard but in this case
the Miners are but one of a trio of impacts:  the other two are that Concord
Council cleared much of the nearby understorey on the banks of the Parramatta
River that provided cover to these birds, and the next door neighbours (nice
as they are) got a cat.  At least they lock it inside at night.  I used to
have Superb Fairy-Wrens and  Eastern Spinebills in my yard and I even enjoyed
the chattering and antics of sparrows.  Crested Pigeons are also now a
sometimes visitor when they used to be regular.

I can only hope that the masses of bushes and trees that I've planted over the
last four years will provide cover for these birds and encourage their return.

Regards,
Irene Denton
Sydney   NSW
Australia