birding-aus

Re: Sibley and Ahlquist (long)

Subject: Re: Sibley and Ahlquist (long)
From: (Simon Bennett)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 20:58:45 +1000
I should point out that the new RAOU checklist, i.e Christidis and Boles,
does NOT follow the Sibley/Ahlquist/Monroe order in either order of families
or species within families.

C&B took a conservative approach in adopting some of the SAM work were there
is colloborating work.
Essentially C&B is a separate standard.

It seems to be a tradition in ornithology that checklists try to reflect
relationships between families and species. I don't think ornithologists
will come at an alphebetical listing; although mammal, reptile and frog
people and botanists are more than happy with that approach.

The problem is that avian taxonomy is a great state of flux. SAM have tried
to set a standard based on what they believe is an objective methodology. I
think it is premature. I expect things will settle down in about 50 years.

Simon Bennett
Melbourne, Australia.

http://www.peg.apc.org/~sbennett
PO Box 25, Lygon Street North,