birding-aus

Noisy Miners can prevent cats from catching birds

Subject: Noisy Miners can prevent cats from catching birds
From: Rafael Furniss <>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 16:10:28 +1000 (EST)
Irene,

Any enemy of your enemy is your friend, right? Our cat of 18 years passed
away recently. After it was one year old, it was never able to catch any
birdlife. Why? At the age of 1, it caught a Noisy Miner. It had just
pounced on it, when 12-15 of the Miners friends attacked the cat in ones
and twos, actually pecking it in their swoops, until she let it go (after
about 5 seconds). Ever since then, our cat was unable to sneak up on
anything, as wherever she went in the bush, Noisy Miners would sound an
alarm, setting off such a cacophony that any bird around was alerted. And
believe me, every other bird species that visited our property very quickly
associated the Miner's alarm call with the presence of the cat. So maybe
the miners that annoy you stop the cat from eating birds? Perhaps it
should be made compulsory for all cats to undergo the "Miner Treatment"
before people can own one (grin).

But if you really want to off your neighbours cat, 2-3 aspirin dissolved
in a saucer of milk should do it. I don't know exactly how it does the job,
but I think it would be fairly humane. Or better still start to feed it.
When it trusts you, pick it up, put it in your car and take it to the RSPCA.

Cheers,

Rafael