birding-aus

Re: Banded Stilts in Vic

Subject: Re: Banded Stilts in Vic
From: MR SR PYWELL <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 09:47:56 GMT+10
I saw my first Banded Stilt yesterday at Avalon Saltworks just
outside of Geelong.  It was a single bird in a flock of 180 Avocets.
I was pretty excited by this but am wondering how significant it is.
I know that they do occur this close to Melbourne but I was wondering
if anyone knows how regulalry or if there have been other recent
sitings close to Melb. etc. or am I just getting excited for nothing?
    Incidentally, I and others have seen quite a few Fairy Penguins
along the shore bordering the saltworks, around Point Lillias.  Does
anyone know if there is a colony in the area?  Also found a dead
Fairy Penguin yesterday (banded!) with its head neatly chewed off but
no other signs of damage.  It appeared very fresh and did not appear
emaciated in any way, suggesting that is was not a beachwashed,
starvation victim but had been predated. If it was a fox that got it
then presumably this penguin must've been ashore so perhaps there is
a colony near there? or do they come ashore for other reasons as well?
    Does the large number of dead Fairy Penguins that Russell
reported have anything to do with the huge pilchard die off earlier
this year?
    Sean Pywell.