birding-aus

Re: Spotting scopes

Subject: Re: Spotting scopes
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 00:38:15 +1000 (EST)
On Thu, 8 Jun 1995, Won-Soon Lau wrote:

> My choice went to the Swarovski since it is waterproof up to 0.3 atm (10').
> Given that I stay in a country where the RH is 90 percents average, fungus
> will find its way into anything they can chew on.  The only other scope
> that is waterproof is the TeleVid.  Optically I have no complaint and
> you can ask Rusell how he thinks about it since he ticked ten plus lifers
> with it. :-)

Won-Soon is being modest - I actually ticked 17 lifers, thanks to the
combination of knowledgable guide and great optics.  A smaller scope
would NOT have allowed me to go TICK- TICK -TICK, three in one go in the
same viewfinder!

I can recommend the scope for photography as well (with the appropriate
but expensive camera adaptor).  Won-Soon's superb photographs bear
witness to this. I've been tearing my hair out lately with a small
opticron scope joined to my Pentax ME Super by an eyepiece projection
adaptor.  Definitely NOT recommended unless you have a rock steady
tripod, heaps of light, film, and time to wait for very still birds!

People in the tropics should note Won-Soon's comments about waterproofing
and excessive humidity.

Cheers

Russell Woodford