birding-aus

Gt-winged Petrels - ??

Subject: Gt-winged Petrels - ??
From: (Chris Gladwin)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 09:10:00 +0000
     Well it seems that there may be more to this.  After discussions with
     people over the last few days, in particular Tony Palliser and Dion
     Hobcroft, I now have to admit that I don't know what I was looking at!
      Were they in fact Providence Petrels?  Dion - who was watching them
     at North Head is adament that they were Gt-wingeds.  However
     Gt-wingeds are virtually unknown at this time of year in NSW.  The
     weather was not really right to force Providence Petrels on Shore.
     The birds that were dots in the distance looked all dark.  But the few
     that came close by had obviously pale grey faces and really large
     clear white patches on the underwing - pale primary shafts.  However
     with the late afternoon sun the body colouration of these close birds
     was an orangy brown.  So I don't think we'd have been able to see a
     greyish body colouration if they were Providence.  In summary the wing
     pattern of all the close in birds fitted Providence.  On pelagics I
     have no trouble in distinquishing the two species but from land they
     looked diferent.  So I must retract my own records and record that
     there were large numbers of Pterodromas off Long Reef on 17th.  Any
     other opinions out there?  Chris Gladwin

From  Fri, 23 Jun 95 09:40 SAST