birding-aus

Portland Pelagic 7th May 1995

Subject: Portland Pelagic 7th May 1995
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 11:55:27 +1000
Weather:        cloudy & dull with occasional light drizzle
                       SE wind

Species seen at sea (including Lawrence Rocks)
Little Penguin                          2 at Lawrence rocks
Wandering Albatross              1
Black-browed Albatross          c. 350 (including both subscpecies)
Buller's Albatross                   1 (southern form)
Yellow-nosed Albatross  c. 30
Shy Albatross                   c.100-150
Sooty Albatross                       2 (superb views at close range,
settled on sea)
Southern Giant Petrel              1
Cape Petrel                      5
Great-winged Petrel                 50-100
White-headed Petrel      2
Soft-plumaged Petrel     1  (close views)
Fairy Prion                      50+
White-chinned Petrel     1 [+1]
Sooty Shearwater                         1
Short-tailed Shearwater           >1000
Fluttering      Shearwater              c.100
Wilson's Storm-petrel   3
Grey-backed Storm-petrel        1
White-faced Storm-petrel        3
Australian Gannet                    Large numbers around Lawrence Rocks
Black-faced Shag                25
Southern Skua                    1
Silver Gull                             <10 at sea
Pacific Gull                            4
White-fronted Tern                       5
Crested Tern                     1   (more around shore)

This information is courtesy of Mike Carter, who said that this trip
achieved one of the highest species tallies from Portland.  He added that
some of the less-frequently sighted birds presented wonderful photo
opportunities, but that the light was generally poor.  The large number of
Black-browed Albatross and other common species often made it difficult to
find and keep track of individual birds, especially other albatross.

Russell Woodford

From  Fri, 5 May 95 23:19 SAST