birding-aus

Changes at Wyperfeld

Subject: Changes at Wyperfeld
From: "Ms K.j Horskins" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 10:36:15 GMT-10
Dear all,

Can you please help?

I am currently writing an honours thesis at Monash Uni. after
investigating the role of the honeybee in the breeding biology of the
yellow mallee in Wyperfeld National Park.  After comparing the volume
of available nectar throughout the day with the study of Bond and
Brown (1979),I found that nectar levels were much higher this year
than in 1977 when their study was conducted, although weather
conditions were comparable.

Whilst in the field, I did not observe any wattlebirds or honeyeaters
visiting Eucalyptus costata whereas Bond and Brown recorded numerous
visits.

As the mallee is in drought, I am interested to know whether
anyone has noted the presence of such nectar eating birds from
the Wyperfeld/mallee region,in areas not usually visited.

Could anyone with such observations please reply to

Thank you for your help

Kerrilee Horskins.