New paper on Acoustic evidence of Cuvier's beaked whales in the northern

To: "" <>
Subject: New paper on Acoustic evidence of Cuvier's beaked whales in the northern South China Sea
From: songhai <>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 09:34:48 +0000

Dear Colleagues and friends,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share the recent publication of our paper “Acoustic evidence of Cuvier's beaked whales (Ziphius cavirostris) in the northern South China Sea” in Marine Mammal Science, DOI: 10.1111/mms.13001.

ABSTRACT

Beaked whales (Ziphiidae) have the second largest number of species (at least 24 species) among all families in Cetacea Infraorder (Committee on Taxonomy, 2022). Increasing threats, including anthropogenic noise disturbances produced by geological and seismic surveying, military sonar, and naval traffic (Aguilar Soto et al., 2006; Balcomb & Claridge, 2001; Frantzis, 1998; Podestà et al., 2016), may pose a high risk to the survival of beaked whales. Hundreds of beaked whales worldwide have been observed to strand since 1970s (Podestà et al., 2006). However, baseline data on distribution, population size and structure, and life history of beaked whales are lacking (Hooker et al., 2019; Li & Rosso, 2021; Tyack et al., 2006), due to their offshore and pelagic habitat, prolonged deep dives, and short surface intervals. These knowledge gaps are an impediment to proper conservation of beaked whales.

To access and share the article, please click the following link to register or log in: https://authorservices.wiley.com/index.html#register

You can also access the published article via this link: http://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13001

If you want a pdf copy from me, please feel free to let me know ).

Best Regards

Songhai

Songhai Li Ph.D. & Prof.

Marine Mammal and Marine Bioacoustics Laboratory

Institute of Deep-sea Science and Engineering

Chinese Academy of Sciences

28 Luhuitou Road, Sanya, 572000, China

Phone: +86-898-88222393

Email: m("sidsse.ac.cn","lish");">