Job Opportunities at Maine Department of Marine Resources

To: "" <>
Subject: Job Opportunities at Maine Department of Marine Resources
From: "Murray, Anita" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:36:36 +0000

Dear Bioacoustics community,

I am happy to share that the Maine Department of Marine Resources (DMR) in West Boothbay Harbor, Maine is seeking applicants for three new Marine Resource Scientist I positions for our Cetacean Research Program (CRP) which is part of our Ecology and the Environment Division. These positions will play an integral role in the CRP’s passive acoustic monitoring (PAM) program by analyzing acoustic data, maintaining our various PAM stations, and conducting various research projects. For more information, please see below a link to the job posting and the job description.

Feel free to contact me with any questions about these positions.

Cheers,

Anita

Anita Murray, PhD (she/her)

Lead, Cetacean Research Program

Maine Department of Marine Resources

194 McKown Point Road

West Boothbay Harbor, ME., 04575, USA

Link to Job Posting: https://mainebhr.hire.trakstar.com/jobs/fk0x3jm/

Opening Date:

January 18, 2023

Closing Date:

January 31, 2023

Location:

West Boothbay Harbor

  Position #:

07200-2707

07200-2708

07200-2709

Position Type:

Limited Period Full Time

  Class Code:

9362

Grade/Salary:

23 $47,611.20 – $64,230.40(*Includes 5.5% Stipend)

BRIEF JOB DESCRIPTION: The Department of Marine Resources (DMR) is seeking applicants with strong scientific skills to fill three Marine Resource Scientist I positions in the Ecology and the Environment Division/Bureau of Marine Science located at the West Boothbay Harbor Laboratory*. These positions will be responsible for processing acoustic recordings for species-specific vocalizations using various acoustic analysis software. The positions will also be responsible for statistical and ambient noise analyses. The positions will perform deployment, servicing, and purchasing duties needed to maintain various passive acoustic monitoring (PAM) projects. The positions will stay up to date on literature and relevant regional projects, and work with the Cetacean Research Program (CRP) lead to present and publish results. Each position may conduct a research project using the species detection and/or vocal activity data generated by the team’s analysis. With direction from the program lead, this could include identifying a research question, applying for external grant funding, implementing the necessary statistical analyses, and disseminating results. As needed, the positions will work across DMR programmatic lines, including for other Division of Ecology and the Environment programs.

Applicants should demonstrate knowledge of cetacean biology, ecology, and/or behavior (particularly vocal behavior). Applicants should demonstrate knowledge of management issues with respect to fisheries and/or offshore wind energy development, e.g., entanglement, anthropogenic noise, displacement, vessel strikes. Candidates should demonstrate strong analytical, writing, and communication skills. Candidates should demonstrate an ability to work independently as well as cooperatively within a team. Applicants should demonstrate strong organization skills and be detailed oriented. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in PAM, bioacoustics, soundscape ecology, ambient noise, statistical modeling, and/or artificial neural networks. Experience with Raven Pro, PAMGUARD, LFDCS, Python, MATLAB and/or GIS software are preferred but not required. Experience deploying research equipment in a marine environment is preferred but not required.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelors Degree in a scientific, technical, or engineering discipline, or equivalent in directly related work experience; and two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in the field of marine resource research and management or related field.

*The selected candidate will be eligible, upon department approval, to work partially remote.