New publication: Early onset of postnatal individual vocal recognition i

To: "" <>
Subject: New publication: Early onset of postnatal individual vocal recognition in a highly colonial mammal species
From: Mathilde Martin <>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 17:12:44 +0000

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to inform you our new publication in Proceedings of the Royal Society B

Early onset of postnatal individual vocal recognition in a highly colonial mammal species

Mathilde Martin, Tess Gridley, Simon Elwen, Isabelle Charrier

Abstract:
Mother–young vocal recognition is widespread in mammals. The features of vocal recognition are known to be shaped by the ecological constraints faced by each species. In some species, a rapid establishment of mother–young vocal recognition is crucial for offspring’s survival. However, knowledge of the precise features of this recognition system, especially the timing of the onset in the first hours after birth, is often lacking. Here we show that Cape fur seal females can recognize their pup’s voice 2–4 h after parturition and that pups develop this aptitude 4–6 h after birth. This study is the first to investigate this mechanism in a wild and free-ranging mammal from only 2 h after birth. We report the fastest establishment of mother–young vocal recognition for any mammalian species, including humans, described to date. Such early vocal identification in pups suggests an in utero vocal imprinting. These findings highlight the synergistic role of environmental constraints and biological traits in optimizing the timing of individual vocal recognition onset in vertebrates.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or would request the PDF

Best regards,

--

--
Mathilde MARTIN

Acoustic Communications Team, Department Cognition & Network Neuroscience
NeuroPSI - Paris-Saclay Institute of Neuroscience
151 rue de la Rotonde, 91400 Saclay, FRANCE
https://neuropsi.cnrs.fr

Tel: +33 (0)1 69 82 63 56
Email: m("universite-paris-saclay.fr","mathilde.martin");">
Website: https://mathildemartin-research.com/