Updates and Call for Abstracts & Tutorials for the 9th DCLDE

To: "" <>
Subject: Updates and Call for Abstracts & Tutorials for the 9th DCLDE
From: Erin Oleson - NOAA Federal <>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 03:35:49 +0000
Aloha Marine Mammal Community,

We have several updates related to the 9th International Workshop on Detection, Classification, Localization and Density Estimation (DCLDE) of Marine Mammals using Passive Acoustics. As previously noted, the workshop has been rescheduled for March 7-11, 2022 and will take place in Waikiki, Hawaii. You can find all workshop updates, including necessary adjustments related to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, on the DCLDE 2022 website

Upcoming deadlines:

The deadline for submitting an abstract for presentation at the workshop is November 15, 2021.  We especially encourage presentation of work using one the of the DCLDE annotated datasets** and would like to note the special session in honor of Dr. Whitlow Au.  The abstract submission form is available on the Abstracts page of the main workshop website.

Following past tradition, the first day of the workshop will be dedicated to topic-specific tutorials. Find more information on submitting a tutorial proposal on the Tutorial page of the DCLDE website.  Tutorial proposals are due November 15, 2021.  Selected tutorials will be announced in early December.

DCLDE 2022 will be a hybrid meeting. As the world begins to open up even while the COVID pandemic continues on, we recognize that some participants will not be able to join us in-person on Oahu. One of the best parts of DCLDE is the close interaction and discussion about technical topics, and while this is easiest to imagine in person, we are committed to supporting virtual attendance and participation in the workshop.  We are still finalizing the details of what a hybrid DCLDE will look like and will post registration costs for both in-person and virtual participation on the webpage before the November 15 abstract deadline.

COVID-19 vaccination is required for in-person participation in the DCLDE workshop. Our host venue, the Alohilani Hotel requires proof of vaccination for all guests and visitors to the hotel. This standard, together with current requirements for social events and venues on Oahu, as well as those for international travelers to the USA, necessite this requirement.

If your organization is interested in sponsoring an aspect of DLCDE 2022, please check out the Sponsors page on the DCLDE website or contact us directly.

**For 2022 the workshop dataset features 47 days of passive acoustic data collected using a multi-channel towed hydrophone array from a large-scale cetacean survey in Hawaii. Details and download instructions for the dataset are available at http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/ore/dclde/dataset/. We strongly encourage those interested in participating in DCLDE 2022 to develop and test methods using this dataset, and/or to work with prior workshop datasets (links are available on the DCLDE 2022 website).

Best regards,
Erin Oleson and Eva-Marie Nosal

DLCDE 2022 Oahu Co-chairs

--

Erin Oleson, PhD

Leader, Cetacean Research Program
NOAA Fisheries, Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center

Get outside with a virtual scroll through the Story Map of our recent field project!- The Mariana Archipelago Cetacean Survey!