Teaching and research positions in bioacoustics

To: BIOACOUSTICS-L <>
Subject: Teaching and research positions in bioacoustics
From: Laurel Braden Symes <>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 02:12:04 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to ensure that you have seen an interesting and unconventional bioacoustics job posting.

The K. Lisa Yang Center for Conservation Bioacoustics (formerly the Cornell Bioacoustics Research Program) has a 15-year history of teaching sound analysis and providing research mentorship for bioacoustics. We recently received endowed financial support to deepen and expand our educational offerings. As part of this process, we are hiring sound analysis instructors to play a leadership role in expanding our mission-critical education and outreach initiatives. These will be PhD level positions (or Masters with extensive relevant experience) and are envisioned as a parallel track to faculty positions at teaching institutions (the positions are 75% teaching and 25% research). We are recruiting for both terrestrial and marine instructors and hope to have representation from each.

The primary instructional audience is graduate students and conservation practitioners (globally, with virtual and in-person offerings), so the student population is generally highly motivated with substantial opportunities for ongoing mentorship and collaboration, as well as international travel and global networking. The position is based in Ithaca, NY, but applicants do not need to be US citizens. These positions are not tenure-track, but are intended as long-term career positions with substantial responsibility and full membership in the intellectual research community, and commensurate compensation.

The full position description and application is available here: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/19268. Please feel free to share with others who may be interested. Application review is ongoing now. I’m happy to answer questions about the positions (.

All the best,

Laurel

--

Laurel Symes (s/h)

Assistant Director

K. Lisa Yang Center for Conservation Bioacoustics

Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Cornell University