Sound pressure level of animal vocalizations, measured in dB at the sour

To: "" <>
Subject: Sound pressure level of animal vocalizations, measured in dB at the source
From: Vincent Lostanlen <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 08:46:53 +0000
Dear all,

Has any of you got a bibliographical reference about the sound pressure
level (in dB) of bird vocalizations?

I am pursuing a research project whose goal is to evaluate the
robustness of bioacoustic classifiers to the presence of background noise.

For this purpose, my plan is to simulate the presence of a vocalizing
animal via a loudspeaker, set in a naturally noisy environment: forest,
river, etc. Meanwhile, i intend to record the sound coming from the
louspeakers by means of an acoustic sensor network whose units are
placed at various known distances. Finally, i should be able to measure
the drop in accuracy of the automatic classifier as the distance
increases (and thus as the signal-to-noise ratio decreases).

What is missing from my protocol is a way to calibrate the loudspeaker
so that it delivers the pre-recorded vocalization at signal level that
is credible. Hence my question: is there a data repository containing
the (average) sound level of a vocalization, as a function of species? I
imagine that this sound level would be expressed in dB SPL at 1 meter or
some distance-specific measure like that.

I am generally interested in knowing the numbers for any terrestrial
species but my main focus resides in the following species of European
birds:

* Eurasian Wren
* Eurasian Robin
* Eurasian Blackcap