new paper entitled 'Substrate-borne vibrations reduced the density of to

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: new paper entitled 'Substrate-borne vibrations reduced the density of tobacco whitefly Bemisia tabaci infestations on tomato, Solanum lycopersicum’
From: Takuma Takanashi <>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 07:26:53 +0000
Dear all,

On behalf of my co-authors, I would like to announce our new paper
entitled 'Substrate-borne vibrations reduced the density of tobacco
whitefly Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) infestations on tomato,
Solanum lycopersicum: an experimental assessment'.

Ryuhei Yanagisawa,Ryuichi Suwa,Takuma Takanashi,Haruki Tatsuta
Applied Entomology Zoology (2019)
https://doi.org/10.1007/s13355-020-00711-9

Abstract:
Managing pests with insecticides is probably the most conventional
available control method. However, insecticide overuse often results in
resistance and subsequent pest resurgence, and often adversely affects
the ecosystem. The physical management of insect pests by utilizing
substrateborne vibrations, sounds, or both is increasingly attracting
attention as an alternative, as it has modest ecosystem impacts. This
method exploits vibroacoustic insect communication used for mating and
the perception of approaching enemies, provoking behavioral responses in
an ingenious manner. We aimed to examine whether substrate-borne
vibrations effectively drive away tobacco whiteflies [Bemisia tabaci
Gennadius (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae)], which are serious agricultural
pests. To do so, B. tabaci individuals were artificially introduced into
greenhouses where tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) plants were reared. A
substantial reduction in the average density of B. tabaci nymphs and
adults was achieved by transmitting vibrational stimuli to the plants.
At the same time, no obvious reduction was found in the number of tomato
plant flowers. Although the performance of the vibrational device and
transmission procedures requires further improvement, the present
results shed light on the potential of substrate-borne vibrations as a
promising alternative for pest management.

If you would like to have the pdf, please feel free to ask me.

All the best,

Takuma Takanashi

Dr. Takuma Takanashi
Department of Forest Entomology
Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute
Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8687, Japan
E-mail: