RE: impact of ultrasounds on wildlife

To: 'Gianni Pavan' <>, "" <>
Subject: RE: impact of ultrasounds on wildlife
From: Michael Stocker <>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 20:24:11 +0000

Hello Gianni (et al),

A number of years back I inadvertently found an interesting source of ultra-sound noise impacts on lab animals from Joanne Blum, a consultant on lab animal environments. There was a lab housing thousands of lab rats that had an unusually high variability in their pharmaceutical testing results. When it was mapped out they found that the “unheard” variable was an ultrasonic intrusion sensor over the entryway that was screaming at all of the rats at 40kHz. The closer the cages, the higher the variability.

There is a wealth of data on this in the Lab Animal industry. I’ll reach put to Joanne and see if she can recommend a particular source, but you might check the lab animal literature and citations. e.g.:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1469-185X.1982.tb00705.x

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/aalas/cm/2005/00000055/00000001/art00002

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/003193849390361I

I’ll get back with you directly if Joanne has anything more focused, but I thought I’d share this with Bioacoustics because it is a tangential, but useful intersection between our industries that might not be obvious to all of us.

Michael

          OCR_Logo_041510_V5_150px

Ocean Conservation Research

Michael Stocker - Director