Fwd: PhD position in bat echolocation

To: "" <>
Subject: Fwd: PhD position in bat echolocation
From: Holger Klinck <>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 12:38:21 +0000

Message posted on behalf of Peter Madsen (m("aias.au.dk","peter.madsen");">)

3-year PhD in bat echolocation at Aarhus University

I am seeking strong applicants for a 3-year PhD in studies of bat echolocation at the Bioacoustics Lab, Section for Zoophysiology, Department of Bioscience at Aarhus University, Denmark. The specifics of the PhD project will be defined in a close dialogue between the supervisor and the chosen applicant, but should be centered on the synergy between controlled studies of echolocation in the lab and field studies of bats foraging in the wild. Generally, we seek to address how echo streams inform vocal-motor adjustments during prey capture and navigation in the wild, and we pursue that goal by using data from the wild to inform studies in captivity where the echoic scene can be manipulated experimentally. We do not do invasive electrophysiology, but I encourage people with that background to apply anyway. We have a newly refurbished anechoic chamber and state-of-the-art housing facilities for bats in captivity, along with microphone arrays and a phantom target echo generating system. For field work we have microphone arrays, PAM systems and miniature onboard, ultrasound recording tags developed by Mark Johnson at University of St. Andrews.

The lab currently consists of 6 post docs, 6 PhD students, and 3 MSc students all working on echolocation in either bats or toothed whales, animal ecophysiology or biologging. The lab is social and international (half Danes, half internationals), and lab members help each other. I therefore seek driven, smart and hard-working personalities, but with strong social skills and a team playing attitude. For more information about the lab, please see www.marinebioacoustics.com

The ideal candidate for this position should have a BSc or MSc in bioacoustics, neuro or sensory physiology or engineering.  Candidates with experience in working with bats, quantitative bioacoustics, signal processing and psychophysics will be favored, and basic knowledge of programming in Matlab/Python or similar is mandatory.

1/3 of the funding from the Faculty of Science is contingent on a strong academic track record of the candidate in the form of high grades and/or first author peer reviewed publications. If you don’t have either, please don’t apply.

This is a full-time, fixed-term position available for a period of 3 years with a salary of approx. 4500 USD/month before tax. The start date is negotiable, but ideally early 2019. Interested candidates should email with a 2-page outline of research interests, CV, grades and two suggested references. The closing date for applications is September 10, 2018. Interviews will be held shortly thereafter.

Best

Peter T. Madsen
--
Dr. Holger Klinck
Director of the Bioacoustics Research Program

Faculty Fellow
Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future, Cornell University

Courtesy Assistant Professor
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Oregon State University

Mailing address:
159 Sapsucker Woods Road
Ithaca, NY 14850, USA

Tel:	+1.607.254.6250
Fax:	+1.607.254.2460
Email:  m("cornell.edu","Holger.Klinck");">
Web:	http://brp.cornell.edu