Re: IPFC 2017: Acoustic Ecology of Indo-Pacific Fishes (C4)

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: IPFC 2017: Acoustic Ecology of Indo-Pacific Fishes (C4)
From: Stephen Simpson <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 23:53:37 +0000

Dear all,

My co-chairs Frédéric Bertucci, Craig Radford and Miles Parsons and I would like to remind you that there are just FOUR DAYS LEFT to submit your abstracts to the 10th Indo-Pacific Fish Conference (2-6 October 2017) in Tahiti, French Polynesia (https://ipfc10.criobe.pf; 22 July deadline).

We welcome your abstracts for oral presentations, posters (and optional flash talks) to our session on the:

ACOUSTIC ECOLOGY OF INDO-PACIFIC FISHES

https://ipfc10.criobe.pf/acoustic-ecology-of-indo-pacific-fishes/

Description: Fish use sound to communicate, assess mates, find food, avoid predators and select habitat. The rich diversity of vocal repertoires and behaviours that are mediated by acoustic cues and signals is now a focus for many research groups around the world. Since much underwater sound comes from biological sources (mammals, fishes and invertebrates), natural soundscapes convey important information to animals. Underwater acoustics also offers novel tools for environmental monitoring, rapid habitat surveys, and census of fishes in dark, deep or turbid environments. While we are only just discovering the importance of sound for fishes and other aquatic animals, human (anthropogenic) noise presents novel challenges through physical damage, stress, distraction, masking and spatial displacement. This session invites talks and posters on all of these topics.

Expected Audience: This topic will appeal to an international audience of fish ecologists, sensory ecologists, bioacousticians, behavioral ecologists, dispersal modellers, environmental monitoring teams, anthropogenic noise impact researchers, technologists and marine managers.

We look forward to seeing you in Tahiti in October...

Cheers,

Steve

Dr Stephen D. Simpson
Associate Professor in Marine Biology & Global Change
University of Exeter

Biosciences, College of Life and Environmental Sciences
Geoffrey Pope, Stocker Road
Exeter, EX4 4QD, UK

Tel: +44 (0) 1392 722714 / +44 (0) 7900551883
Email: /
Web: http://biosciences.exeter.ac.uk/staff/index.php?web_id=Stephen_Simpson