job posting: University of Miami CIMAS Senior Research Associate

To: "" <>
Subject: job posting: University of Miami CIMAS Senior Research Associate
From: Melissa Soldevilla - NOAA Federal <>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:41:41 +0000

Title: Senior Research Associate I - Acoustician

The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. At the U, we are committed to attracting and retaining a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. We are leaders in the area of education, scholarship, intercollegiate athletics and service. Come join our team!

The Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS) of the University of Miami invites applicants for a Research Associate position in Marine Biology and Fisheries.

We seek a Senior Research Associate to join our group and work as an acoustic analyst in the NOAA Southeast Fisheries Science Center Protected Resources and Biodiversity Division. The incumbent’s primary focus will be using existing passive acoustic survey data to characterize ocean soundscapes throughout the South Atlantic Bight. The researcher will analyze ocean acoustic environments over time and space, and will characterize the spatio-temporal component of low-frequency natural and anthropogenic noise sources as a function of frequency.   The research will involve collaboration with scientists at the Bioacoustics Research Program at Cornell University and the Southeast Fisheries Science Center.

Candidates for this position should have (1) a Master’s degree in Biology, Oceanography, or related field (2) demonstrated experience with quantitative analytical methods such as bioacoustical analysis, ambient noise analysis, population modeling, habitat modeling, or time-series analyses, (3) basic statistical and programming skills, (4) the ability and desire to work as part of a collaborative team, and (5) excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills, good organizational skills and the ability to plan daily duties. Applicants with experience in fish bioacoustics and/or ambient noise modeling are preferred. Applicants with higher education levels are welcome to apply.

The position will be located at the NOAA Southeast Fisheries Science Center Protected Resources and Biodiversity Division located in Miami, FL. Start date is flexible, but ideally around 24 August, 2015.

Apply online (www.umiami.edu/careers). Position P100005694. Curriculum Vitae and the contact information for 3 people who can provide letters of recommendation are required.

The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.