Bioacoustic Internship with Fish and Dolphins (University of South Carol

To: "" <>
Subject: Bioacoustic Internship with Fish and Dolphins (University of South Carolina Beaufort)
From: "MONTIE, ERIC" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 18:20:54 +0000
USCB Bio-Acoustic Summer Research Experience

Need: Two marine mammal/fish bio-acoustic interns for summer 2015.

Salary: Unpaid Internship. Position could lead to a paid appointment depending upon performance and grant funding.

Position Information: Part or full time (20-40 hrs per week); Monday through Friday. Full time is preferred. Position is from May 1st to September 1st. Start date is negotiable and position can be extended. Applicant must be available for 3 months minimum.

Location: This position is located at the University of South Carolina Beaufort at the Bluffton campus. Bluffton, SC is located only 20 minutes from Hilton Head Island, SC. The campus is 10 minutes from the May River and 15 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean.

About Our Lab: Our research lab strives to understand the sensory and neurobiology of marine organisms. Specifically, we are interested in brain architecture, hearing of fish and marine mammals, and acoustic communication of aquatic vertebrates. The more applied part of our research program focuses on studies that investigate how natural and man-made stressors impact the brain, hearing, and acoustic communication. These stressors include man-made chemicals, harmful algal blooms, noise pollution, and climate change. We use techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging, auditory evoked potentials, and passive acoustics using long-term monitoring devices. This research involves work on biomedical models such as zebrafish, as well as wild marine organisms like spotted seatrout, red drum, and bottlenose dolphins.

Duties Include:
(1) Sound production studies with fish and bottlenose dolphins.
(2) Bottlenose dolphin abundance, distribution, and photo-identification.
(3) Maintenance of water quality sensors in the May River.
(4) Zebrafish husbandry.

The internship will focus on analyzing and interpreting previously collected acoustic data using our DSG-Ocean Recorders. In addition, the interns will participate in two field trips per week performing bottlenose dolphin abundance and photo-ID surveys. There will be some opportunities for additional field work, consisting primarily of acoustic recorder deployment and retrieval.

Qualifications: The internship is designed for undergraduates who are interested in gaining experience in marine bioacoustics. Undergraduates should have at least one full academic year completed. Experience with Adobe Audition, Excel, and MATLAB preferred but not required. Students in computational science majors are urged to apply. Boat experience is preferred but not mandatory. Evidence of good communication skills through interaction with public is also a bonus. Good organizational skills are a necessity.

How to Apply: Please email a C.V. with GPA and two reference contacts to Dr. Eric Montie If you have questions concerning the position, please email or phone (843) 208-8107.

Eric W. Montie
Assistant Professor of Biology
Department of Natural Sciences
University of South Carolina Beaufort