Two new papers that shed light on the evolution of tetrapod hearing in a

To: "" <>
Subject: Two new papers that shed light on the evolution of tetrapod hearing in air
From: Peter Teglberg Madsen <>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 14:57:36 +0000

Dear All,

We have recently published two papers on lungfish and salamander hearing that shed light on the function and evolution of early tetrapod hearing.

We propose that pressure hearing in water evolved as a passive consequence of air breathing, and we muster evidence to suggest that early tetrapods on land could in fact hear despite the lack of tympanic middle ears.

If of interest, the papers can be found here:

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/218/3/381.abstract

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/282/1802/20141943

Pdf requests can also be made to:

Best

Peter

Peter T. Madsen

Zoophysiology, Department of Bioscience

Aarhus University, Build. 1131, CF Mollers Alle

8000 Aarhus C, Denmark

Phone: 0045 8715 6501

email: m("biology.au.dk","peter.madsen");">

Web: www.marinebioacoustics.com

sender_logo