RE: [Nature Recordists] Re: [Bioacoustic-monitoring] annotation/labeling

To: "" <>, "Charles S. Henry" <>
Subject: RE: [Nature Recordists] Re: [Bioacoustic-monitoring] annotation/labeling of wav files
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 08:09:56 +1000
Charles, it would be a valuable resource if you could make notes about your
evaluations of those programs, and post a summary here. One can spend many
hours evaluating programs that start out promising but turn out to have a flaw
that means they aren't suitable, so it's good if one can have advance warning
about such things.

I can confirm that Acousmographe is free. The author (or authors?) is French,
but there is an English version. I wasn't able to find an English manual though.

Triton is one that I didn't come across when I was evaluating programs. I just
had a quick look at the manual (from
http://cetus.ucsd.edu/technologies_Software.html), but I see no mention at all
of adding annotations. The manual is for v1.64 while the software is up to
v1.80, so perhaps the annotation capability was added after that version. It
seems to be highly suited to dealing with extremely long recordings, so I'm
really interested to hear how you go with this one.

One thing I think one needs to be very cautious of when evaluating programs
like these if you intend to commit a lot of time to analysing data with them,
is future support. I suspect a lot of programs like these start their life as a
postgrad student project, and many end their life there. They may do 99% of
what you want very well, but when the times comes to contact the author for
advice or to do something about a missing feature or a serious bug, they cannot
be found and no one at that institution is interested in or capable of helping.
Some have support forums, others have nothing. Some support forums are very
active, others have had no postings for years.

It's well worth torture testing a program before committing to it, just in case
it can't do something you need.

Take care to keep a backup of the installation files, as you may find when you
go to install on a new computer that they're no longer available. It might also
be worth keeping an archive of previous versions of installation files, just in
case a new release introduces new bugs.

Peter Shute

cElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBG1zZ0lkAzUzMjkxBHNlYwNm>
dHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTQxMjAxMjA5Ng--?act=reply&messageNum=
> 53291>        .        Reply to sender
> <=Re%3A%20%5BBioacoustic-
> monitoring%5D%20annotation%2Flabeling%20of%20wav%20files>
> .      Reply to group
> <=Re%3A%20%5BBi
oacoustic-monitoring%5D%20annotation%2Flabeling%20of%20wav%> 20files>   .
 Start a New Topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/conversa
> tions/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOTNwc3Q3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAz
IxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbW>
UDMTQxMjAxMjA5Ng-->   .        Messages in this topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/conversa
> tions/topics/53291;_ylc=X3oDMTM2aHZ0am5nBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycE
lkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBG1zZ0lkAzUzMjkxBHNlYwNmdH>
IEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQxMjAxMjA5NgR0cGNJZAM1MzI5MQ-->  (1)
> "While a picture is worth a thousand words, a sound is worth
> a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause.
>

> Visit Your Group
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/info;_yl
c=X3oDMTJlNG11M2xxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZA>
MxNzA1MDgzNjYzBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQxMjAxMjA5Ng-->

> Yahoo! Groups
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZ2V2NmVxBF9TAzk3NDc
2NTkwBGdycElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2x>
rA2dmcARzdGltZQMxNDEyMDEyMDk2>
> . Privacy
> <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html>
>  . Unsubscribe