begging in absence

To: <>
Subject: begging in absence
From: Diego Gil <>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:30:59 +0100
Hi to all bioacousticians,

We are conducting a study on the "begging in absence" phenomenon, that is to say the continous begging that the nestlings of some bird species perform while their parents are not in the neighbourhood. This is common in the barn owl, in some starlings and woodpeckers. We are looking for first-hand observations on the occurrence of this type of behaviour in any bird species.

Have you heard nestlings from any bird species doing this? We do not need recordings or quantitative data, just the name of the species
and some comments on what you heard would be fine.

Thanks for your help!

Best wishes

Diego

--