Bioacoustic Articles in Behaviour 148, No 5-6

To: "" <>
Subject: Bioacoustic Articles in Behaviour 148, No 5-6
From: Frank Veit <>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 20:33:48 +0200
Abstracts below

Wiley, D, C Ware, A Bocconcelli, D Cholewiak, A Friedlaender, M Thompson & M Weinrich (2011) Underwater components of humpback whale bubble-net feeding behaviour. Behaviour 148: 575-602.

Robillard, T & L Desutter-Grandcolas (2011) Evolution of calling songs as multicomponent signals in crickets (Orthoptera: Grylloidea: Eneopterinae). Behaviour 148: 627-672.

Price, JJ & DH Yuan (2011) Song-type sharing and matching in a bird with very large song repertoires, the tropical mockingbird. Behaviour 148: 673-689.

Abstracts:

Wiley, D, C Ware, A Bocconcelli, D Cholewiak, A Friedlaender, M Thompson & M Weinrich (2011) Underwater components of humpback whale bubble-net feeding behaviour. Behaviour 148: 575-602.
Humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) employ a unique and complex foraging behaviour — bubble-netting — that involves expelling air underwater to form a vertical cylinder-ring of bubbles around prey. We used digital suction cup tags (DTAGs) that concurrently measure pitch, roll, heading, depth and sound (96 kHz sampling rate), to provide the first depiction of the underwater behaviours in which humpback whales engage during bubble-net feeding. Body mechanics and swim paths were analysed using custom visualization software that animates the underwater track of the whale and quantifies tag sensor values. Bubble production was identified aurally and through spectrographic analysis of tag audio records. We identified two classes of behaviour (upward-spiral; 6 animals, 118 events and double-loop; 3 animals, 182 events) that whales used to create bubble nets. Specifically, we show the actual swim path of the whales (e.g., number of revolutions, turning rate, depth interval of spiral), when and where in the process bubbles were expelled and the pattern of bubble expulsion used by the animals. Relative to other baleanopterids, bubble-netting humpbacks demonstrate increased manoeuvrability probably aided by a unique hydrodynamicly enhanced body form. We identified an approximately 20 m depth or depth interval limit to the use of bubble nets and suggest that this limit is due to the physics of bubble dispersal to which humpback whales have behaviourally adapted. All animals were feeding with at least one untagged animal and we use our data to speculate that reciprocity or by-product mutualism best explain coordinated feeding behaviour in humpbacks.

Robillard, T & L Desutter-Grandcolas (2011) Evolution of calling songs as multicomponent signals in crickets (Orthoptera: Grylloidea: Eneopterinae). Behaviour 148: 627-672.
Calling songs of crickets are multi-component signals that serve several purposes in the species biology. The multiple functions of calling songs reflect the multiple selective forces shaping signal parameters. We test several predictions about signal evolution at a phylogenetic scale, taking into account the way signals are produced and used. We addressed these predictions in a diverse cricket clade, the Eneopterinae subfamily, using an independently derived phylogeny. Acoustic analyses of the calling songs of 24 eneopterine species permitted the definition of 35 acoustic characters describing the spectral and temporal properties of the songs. These characters proved informative for their phylogenetic content. Our main conclusions were that eneopterine calling songs have evolved as multiple independent characters (atomised evolution hypothesis), although they partly depended on the influence of emitting structures. They experienced a general tendency toward more information delivered per unit time and were driven toward equivalent temporal patterns through the combined action of inheritance from ancestors, parallelism and character convergence.

Price, JJ & DH Yuan (2011) Song-type sharing and matching in a bird with very large song repertoires, the tropical mockingbird. Behaviour 148: 673-689.
Song-type matching, a behaviour of some songbirds in which one individual replies to another's song with a matching song type, has been studied primarily in birds that have small to moderately sized song repertoires (<15 song types) and that share only a few song types with neighbours. Few previous studies have examined song-type matching in species with very large song repertoires, in which birds can share larger numbers of songs with neighbours and matching particular song types might be more challenging. Here we describe frequent and rapid song-type matching in a population of tropical mockingbirds, Mimus gilvus. Males had repertoire sizes of about 133 distinct song types on average which were delivered with high versatility. Territorial neighbours shared significantly more song types than did non-neighbours, and neighbouring males matched each other's songs frequently and often with surprising speed. Overlapping of songs occurred at approximately chance levels. Song-type matching in these birds could indicate more than just aggressive intentions, which is the presumed function of this behaviour in species with smaller repertoires. In tropical mockingbirds, rapidly matching the songs of neighbours could provide information to listeners about a singer's experience or abilities.