New bioacoustic atricle in J. Ethology

To: "BIOACOUSTICS-L" <>
Subject: New bioacoustic atricle in J. Ethology
From: "Sonja Amoser" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:41:20 +0100
Takashi Kuriwada & Eiiti Kasuya (2011): Age-dependent changes in calling
effort in the bell cricket Meloimorpha japonica. J. Ethol. 29(1), 99-105.

Abstract: We investigated how male age and body weight influence male mating
effort in the bell cricket Meloimorpha japonica. We adopted a longitudinal
approach to study resource allocation to male mating effort (calling
duration during 24 h) in the bell cricket. Calling durations and body weight
of each male were measured at 7?8 days (young age), 14?15 days (middle age),
and 22?25 days (old age) after the final molt. Calling duration increased
between young and middle age. During the period between middle and old age,
the amount of change in the calling duration was positively correlated with
the body weight. The results suggested that older (i.e., low residual
reproductive value) and better quality males invested more resources in
mating effort.

For reprints please contact T. Kuriwada (email:

B. M. Bezerra, A. S. Souto, N. Schiel & G. Jones (2011): Notes on
vocalisations of giant otters in the flooded Igapó forests of Jaú National
Park, Amazonas, Brazil. J. Ethol. 29(1), 169-175.

Abstract: Between January and June 2008, we surveyed three flooded Igapó
areas (>5 km2 in total) in Jaú National Park, Amazonas, Brazil. The
objective of this note is to provide quantitative information on the
vocalisations of the giant otters inhabiting these areas. We encountered the
giant otters in January, February, March and April 2008. From one to five
individuals were observed during the encounters. Five of the nine
vocalisations reported in subjective descriptions of the vocal repertoire of
the species living in Surinam, Guyana and other areas of Brazil were
recorded in Jaú. The calls recorded in Jaú were all distinguishable by ear,
spectrograms/oscilograms/power spectra and/or statistically.

For reprints please contact B. M. Bezerra (email:

Kind regards

Sonja

Dr. Sonja Amoser
Steinrieglstraße 286