Articles from J Mammalogy

Subject: Articles from J Mammalogy
From: "Brian R. Mitchell" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 18:19:44 -0400
 Hello Bioacoustics-L,

The following articles appeared in recent issues of the Journal of Mammalogy, and list members can download copies at http://www.uvm.edu/~bmitchel/Bioacoustics.html.

Matrosova, Vera A., Ilya A. Volodin, Elena V. Volodina, Nina A. Vasilieva, and Alexandra A. Kochetkova. 2010. Between-year stability of individual alarm calls in the yellow ground squirrel Spermophilus fulvus. Journal of Mammalogy 91(3):620-627.

Abstract: Although individuality in alarm calls has been reported for many ground-dwelling sciurids, the degree to which the vocal identity encoded in alarm calls is stable with time has been studied only for a single sciurid species. Thus, no comparable data are available. We examined the retention of the vocal keys to individual identity after hibernation in a natural colony of yellow ground squirrels (Spermophilus fulvus), long-lived, obligate hibernating rodents that maintain stable social groups for years. We recorded alarm calls in 2 subsequent years, separated by hibernation, from 22 individually marked animals. All individuals could be distinguished with high probability by their alarm calls within a year. However, only 6 of the 22 animals kept their alarm calls stable after hibernation. Sex, age, year of data collection, and the distance that individuals moved between years did not have significant effects on the retention of a stable alarm call structure after hibernation. Given the low proportion of individuals with stable alarm calls, vocal identity cannot be the only modality sufficient to secure the recovery of personalized social relationships after hibernation in the yellow ground squirrel.

Gillam, Erin H., Nickolay I. Hristov, Thomas H. Kunz, and Gary F. McCracken. 2010. Echolocation behavior of Brazilian free-tailed bats during dense emergence flights. Journal of Mammalogy 91(4): 967-975.

Abstract: Brazilian free-tailed bats (Tadarida brasiliensis) emerge from cave roosts in dense columns in which adjacent bats are separated by only small distances. We describe and quantify variation in the structure of echolocation calls produced by these emerging bats and determine if call structure changes in relation to the rate of emergence measured using thermal infrared imaging. We recorded emergence calls at 2 roosts, 1 housing approximately 200,000 bats and the other approximately 17,000 bats. We found that Brazilian free-tailed bats emit distinct frequency-modulated (FMstart) and constant frequency (CFstart) calls during emergence that are significantly different from echolocation calls they emit while foraging. We propose that these calls provide different information for orientation within the emergence column. CFstart calls are very similar to social calls used by Brazilian free-tailed bats, suggesting 2 potential functions for this call type. The structure of both the FMstart and CFstart calls were not related to the number of bats emerging from a roost, although significant structural differences existed between sites. The differences between sites could be associated with the spacing of bats during emergence, because bats appeared to form tighter columns at the larger roost colony compared to the smaller colony.