Hydrophone bait summary

Subject: Hydrophone bait summary
From: Mario Rivera-Chavarría <>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:07:48 -0500
Thank you!!

I’ve received dozens of responses to my post about the hydrophone bait
, all with valuable suggestions .

First of all, just to note that shark attacks to electronic equipment
are common and frequent.In summary, here are some suggestions for
marine bioacousticians that works with hydrophones (and actually is
valid for any other electronic equipment) within shark's habitat :

·         Try to use heavy duty cable.

·         Tow in greater speeds.

·         Avoid to work near (less than 3Nmi) of tuna or shrimp boats.

·         Design the electronics to minimize the radiated electric and
magnetic fields.

·         Make cages with metal sieve (but I don’t know if this can
affect the caption)

·         Use twisted pair cables and differential signal drive.

·         Shield the preamplifier.

·         Carry a rabbit’s foot.

.         Hide shiny components.

Thank you all for the valuable feedback.

--
Mario "Spoonman" Rivera-Chavarría.Biologist.
Fish Passive Acoustics.