Bioacoustic articles in Bahaviour 147, 8 (July 2010)

To: <>
Subject: Bioacoustic articles in Bahaviour 147, 8 (July 2010)
From: "Frank Veit" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:23:48 +0200
Bioacoustic papers in Behaviour 147 vol. 8 (July 2010)

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/brill/beh/2010/00000147/00000008

(Abstracts below)

Benedict, L (2010) California towhee vocal duets are multi-functional signals for multiple receivers. Behaviour 147: 953-978.

Pangle, WM & KE Holekamp (2010) Age-related variation in threat-sensitive behavior exhibited by spotted hyenas: observational and experimental approaches. Behaviour 147: 1009-1033.

Kondo, N, EI Izawa & S Watanabe (2010) Perceptual mechanism for vocal individual recognition in jungle crows (Corvus macrorhynchos): contact call signature and discrimination. Behaviour 147: 1051-1072.

Abstracts:

Benedict, L (2010) California towhee vocal duets are multi-functional signals for multiple receivers. Behaviour 147: 953-978.

Avian vocal duets provide a model system for studying the evolution and production of complex signals which require input from multiple individuals. Duets serve a variety of communication functions in diverse species. To explore the function of duetting in California towhees (Pipilo crissalis) I collected behavioural data from a marked population, conducted sound playback experiments, and removed males from established pairs to observe the behaviour of new partners. Results indicate that California towhees use duets during extra-pair communication with conspecifics and during intra-pair communication between duetting partners. During the breeding season duetting frequency peaked during the chick-rearing period and was low during periods of high female fertility. Playbacks provoked similar levels of aggressive response from male and female territory holders. Mated pairs duetted in response to simulated intrusion by conspecific males, females and pairs. California towhee duets briefly increased in frequency after pairing, and showed no evidence of change due to learning. Duets facilitate spatial and behavioural coordination by mates, which should allow them to more effectively perform behaviours related to mutual reproductive success. No single existing hypothesis adequately explains vocal duetting among California towhees. Instead, duets function in multiple contexts and provide multiple potential benefits.

Pangle, WM & KE Holekamp (2010) Age-related variation in threat-sensitive behavior exhibited by spotted hyenas: observational and experimental approaches. Behaviour 147: 1009-1033.

We examined ontogenetic variation in threat-sensitive behaviors exhibited by spotted hyenas (Crocuta crocuta). We documented naturally-occurring vigilance throughout ontogeny, and used playback experiments to evaluate age-related variation in hyenas' responses to control sounds or lion roars. We inquired whether juveniles respond to lions more cautiously than do adults. Naturalistic observations showed that juveniles are less vigilant than adults when no immediate threat is present, but more vigilant than adults when lions are present. Our playback experiments revealed that both adult and juvenile hyenas moved in response to lion roars but not to control sounds, and their reactions were stronger to roars emitted by male than female lions. However, juveniles showed a stronger response to lions than adults, as expressed by spending more time avoiding speakers after roar onset, and by having a shorter latency to first movement than adults. Like adults, juvenile hyenas, thus, appear to recognize certain signals as dangerous and respond accordingly. However, our data suggest that young hyenas may need experience with danger early in life to learn the environmental circumstances under which they ought to be vigilant when no threat is immediately apparent.

Kondo, N, EI Izawa & S Watanabe (2010) Perceptual mechanism for vocal individual recognition in jungle crows (Corvus macrorhynchos): contact call signature and discrimination. Behaviour 147: 1051-1072.

In long-range fission-fusion complex societies, individuals are often recognized by audiovocal signals because of long-range propagation. The signature voice system is a well-known mechanism involving both acoustic individuality of a certain call type and discrimination ability. Previous studies on vocal individual recognition of birds have emphasized its involvement in breeding contexts such as mate, parent and offspring, and territorial-neighbour recognition. However, there has been less focus on the recognition of non-breeding flock members despite the socio-ecological demand of such ability in the complex social lives of highly social birds including corvids. Here we report a signature voice system in jungle crows by showing both acoustic individuality of contact calls and discrimination ability. We first performed a discriminant functional analysis on contact ka calls of five crows to examine their discriminatory potential and demonstrate inter-individual distinctions. We next used an operant conditioning to verify the perceptual ability to discriminate non-breeding familiar conspecifics based on ka calls. Four of the five crows successfully transferred discrimination of individual calls to the novel ka calls. Our results provide the first evidence of a signature voice system as a perceptual mechanism for individual recognition of familiar individuals in non-breeding flocks of a highly social crow.