Study on behaviour of fish to pile driving sound

Subject: Study on behaviour of fish to pile driving sound
From: Christina Mueller <>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:27:04 +0200 (CEST)
Dear colleagues

I would like to draw your attention to a study we just published for Cowrie (Collaborative Offshore Wind Research into the Environment). Our team of Cefas scientists, together with experts from Cranfield University and Cornwall College, carried out a field study on the behaviour of two species of marine fish to pile driving sound using 2 large net pens of 40 m diameter. Our study is the first of its kind to show a behavioural response of marine fish to recordings of pile-driving. The results clearly show that sound pressure and particle motion triggers a reaction from both cod and sole. However, further work is needed to investigate the exact nature and extent of the fish reaction. Some results may indicate that fish become accustomed to the sound. We believe that the results are of relevance for the regulation of offshore wind farms in the UK and elsewhere.

The report can be downloaded from the Cowrie web page: http://www.offshorewindfarms.co.uk/Pages/Publications/Latest_Reports/Fish___Shellfish/Effects_of_pile-drivin3163764f/

Kind regards

Christina

Christina Mueller-Blenkle
Cefas
Pakefield Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0HT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1502 52 7716

www.cefas.co.uk