PostDoc positions at the University of Victoria, Canada

Subject: PostDoc positions at the University of Victoria, Canada
From: Holger Klinck <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:50:36 -0800
Please reply to George Tzanetakis -

Dear friends,
we have two PostDoc openings in my research group at the University of
Victoria. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Happy new year,
George Tzanetakis

1) University of Victoria, Canada
1 year Postdoctoral position in Signal processing and Machine Learning for the Analysis of Marine Mammal Vocalizations

Start date negotiable between January and September 2010 and continuing for 12 months after the start date. This position is funded by a grant from CANARIE, Canada. We are interested in exploring the detection and classification of marine mammal sounds and other underwater sounds. We have access to continuous streams of hydrophone data from the Venus and Neptune underwater cabled observatories, as well as 30 years of recordings of Orca vocalizations (http://orchive.cs.uvic.ca). The challenge will be to develop highly adaptable and flexible algorithms and software tools to extract information of interest from the continuous large datasets.

Candidates are expected to have or be close to obtaining a PhD degree in a relevant field. Strong signal processing and machine learning background is important as well as strong programming skills. We are particularly interested in candidates with experience in Music Information Retrieval and/or Bioacoustics.

Inquiries and CVs should be addressed to Prof Peter Driessen
 and Prof George Tzanetakis
Salary will be in the range $CDN 40—50K, depending on qualifications.

2) University of Victoria, Canada
1 year Postdoctoral position in Musical robotics, Signal processing and Machine learning

Start date negotiable between January and September 2010 and continuing for 12 months after the start date. This position is funded by a NSERC-CCA New Media Initiative grant. We are interested in building systems for musical robots to perform on stage, reacting, and improvising with human musicians in real-time. Our plans include designing and building robotic musical instruments, real-time extraction of a composite representation of performers' musical gestures from the fusion of multiple sensor and audio streams, machine learning to distill gestural data into higher-level musical understanding and to allow the robot's responses to evolve based on what it "hears", and integration of all of the above into innovative multimedia compositions and improvised musical performances on stage. Our goal is not merely to produce another robotic instrument to play notes under direct external control, but to produce a robotic musician that in some sense can hear, understand, and react to a human performer in real-time, grounded in a representation of specific musical knowledge from Indian, African, Cuban, and Western "art music" cultures.

Candidates are expected to have or be close to obtaining a PhD degree in a relevant field. They are expected to have a strong musical, mechanical, signal processing and machine learning background, and excellent programming and/or mechanical skills.

--
Holger Klinck, Ph.D.
Cooperative Institute for Marine Resources Studies

Phone: (+1)541-867-0182
Fax:   (+1)541-867-3907
Web:   http://oregonstate.edu/groups/cimrs/