Recording simple but low intensity sounds

Subject: Recording simple but low intensity sounds
From: Simon Gadbois <>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:07:22 -0400
Hi,
I have a simple problem (I think). To measure olfactory activity in dogs, we want to measure "sniffing rates" in a non-invasive way. This was done before (Thesen, Steen and Doving, 1993). Basically, we are installing a small "interview" microphone on the head of the dog (from a digital recording device attached to the collar). The microphone is a regular multidirectional commonly used by the media. The wire is taped on the forehead of the dog and the mic itself is places just below the eyeline. It is 5-7 centimeters from the nose.
The situation is this: We can record the exhaling very well, but not the inhaling. With Amadeus Pro, GarageBand, and SoundRuler (we run a Mac-only lab) we are getting almost nothing in terms of signal for the actual sniff. We can somewhat hear it, but with background noise, we are afraid to be unable to reliably "count" the sniffs. All we need to measure, are the peaks, or "beats" of sniffing, nothing more. We simply need a rate (count per minutes).

1. What can we do to get a better signal: Any software or hardware solutions?
2. What software could allow us to literally just get a count of those sniffing peak?

Thank you for your help and suggestions,

Simon Gadbois

---
Y. Simon Gadbois, Ph.D.
Neuroscience Institute • Life Sciences Centre • 1355 Oxford Street • Dalhousie University • Halifax, Nova Scotia • B3H 4J1 • Canada

---