Autonomous Recorder for

Subject: Autonomous Recorder for
From: Harald Yurk <>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 07:29:06 -0800
Hi,

I have a question for the marine mammal acoustics crowd. I am writing a
proposal for a project that involves remote acoustic monitoring of boats and
whales (Recording bandwidth: 10 Hz to 5 KHz), but instead of having a
submersed unit that records onto a hard drive, I need remote access to the
recordings on demand. I have used in the past a system where the hydrophone
is tethered through the intertidal to a microwave transmitter. I know of a
few recording units that allow remote access without being logistically tied
to the shoreline, but have only used VHF recorders in the past that do not
allow remote control and whose transmission quality is poor. I do not have
any experience with any other systems.

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction and perhaps let me know
what is the solution with the lowest price tag, I would be very much
obliged.

Thank you.
Harald Yurk, Ph.D.

Blackfish Acoustics
2320 East 2nd Avenue
Vancouver, BC, Canada V5N 1G3

phone: +604.215.7707 or +604.787.4951 (mobile)

E-mail: ;