Title: Acoustic Signal Detection Engineer
Department: Cooperative Institute for Marine Resources Studies
(CIMRS), Oregon State University
Rank: Research Associate (postdoc) or Faculty Research Assistant
Location: Newport, Oregon, USA
Application deadline: For full consideration, apply by September 21,
Start Date: Nov. 2009 or as available.
Duration: One year of support is currently available. Funding for
successive year(s) is anticipated but is not guaranteed.
This 12-month, full-time, fixed-term appointment is through the
Cooperative Institute for Marine Resources Studies in support of a
project on acoustic detection and classification of cetaceans
(dolphins and whales) under the direction of Dr. David Mellinger.
Reappointment is at the discretion of the CIMRS Director.
- Ph.D./M.S./B.S. in science, engineering, or related disciplines.
(Individuals with a Ph.D. will be appointed at the Research
Associate rank; individuals with a M.S. or B.S. will be appointed at
Faculty Research Assistant rank)
- Experience with digital signal processing, preferably audio/acoustic
- Familiarity with MATLAB or equivalent rapid-prototyping signal
- Ability to present results in English at regional and international
Preference may be given to applicants with experience in the following
- Experience at signal detection, classification, and estimation.
- Working within a research environment and with other research teams.
- Demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
Oregon State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer and has a policy of being responsive to needs of dual career
For further details, including application procedures, please see
jobs.oregonstate.edu. Click on "Search Postings" at left and then
enter posting number 0004462 (the leading zeros are necessary).
Applications must be made online.