Bioacoustic Articles in Behaviour 146: 8 (August 2009)

To: <>
Subject: Bioacoustic Articles in Behaviour 146: 8 (August 2009)
From: "Frank Veit" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:33:56 +0200
Abstracts below
www.ingentaconnect.com/content/brill/beh/2009/00000146/00000008

Kaiser, K & JL Hammers (2009) The effect of anthropogenic noise on male advertisement call rate in the neotropical treefrog, Dendropsophus triangulum. Behaviour 146: 1053-1069.

Barker, NKS, T Dabelsteen & DJ Mennill (2009) Degradation of male and female rufous-and-white wren songs in a tropical forest: effects of sex, perch height, and habitat. Behaviour 146: 1093-1122.

Abstracts

Kaiser, K & JL Hammers (2009) The effect of anthropogenic noise on male advertisement call rate in the neotropical treefrog, Dendropsophus triangulum. Behaviour 146: 1053-1069.

Anthropogenic change such as road construction and subsequent traffic noise in pristine habitats has been shown to be detrimental to a range of vertebrate taxa. The effect of anthropogenic noise on anuran communication is not well known, and has only recently been a topic of investigation. We tested the effect of anthropogenic noise on the calling behaviour of the Amazonian treefrog Dendropsophus triangulum. We performed four experiments. We first presented frogs with the noise of a pre-recorded motorcycle engine, and recorded the call rates of focal frogs for 5 min, then for another 5 min during which they were presented with a broadcast of noise, and again for 5 min post-stimulus. We repeated this experiment using music as the stimulus. We then tested the effect of intermittent engine noise, recording baseline call rate and response to six cycles of intermittent noise. In all experiments, call rates nearly doubled during playbacks. Finally, we compared frogs' responses to anthropogenic noise to responses to chorus noise broadcast at the same intensity; call rates did not differ between treatments. These results demonstrate a clear effect of exogenous noise on male D. triangulum.

Barker, NKS, T Dabelsteen & DJ Mennill (2009) Degradation of male and female rufous-and-white wren songs in a tropical forest: effects of sex, perch height, and habitat. Behaviour 146: 1093-1122.

We performed a song transmission experiment to investigate the effects of distance, song post height, receiver perch height, signaller sex, and microhabitat on song degradation in rufous-and-white wrens (Thryothorus rufalbus), a neotropical duetting songbird. We quantified the effects of these factors on excess attenuation, signal-to-noise ratio, tail-to-signal ratio, and blur ratio of male and female songs. As expected, song degradation increased with distance between signaller and receiver. Songs transmitted best when emitted from moderate heights (5-7 m), although this pattern varied with receiver distance, receiver height and microhabitat. The patterns regarding receiver height were subtle and inconsistent, but receivers may maximise their ability to hear male and female songs when perched at a height of 7 m and 5 m, respectively. Female songs were generally more degraded than male songs. Rufous-and-white wren songs appeared more attenuated in open field than forest habitats, but microhabitat conditions within the forests exerted a strong influence on song degradation. These findings match previous studies showing an effect of distance, song post height, and habitat, but contrast with other research by showing a minimal effect of receiver perch height. This study represents the first detailed investigation of differences in song transmission between males and females.