Fwd: Info request for fixed PAM review paper

Subject: Fwd: Info request for fixed PAM review paper
From: Dave Mellinger <>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:12:44 -0700
This is forwarded from Renata Sousa-Lima,   Please
reply to her, not me.

Subject: Info request for Fixed PAM review paper
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:10:04 -0300 (BRT)

We are writing a review of fixed passive acoustic monitoring (PAM) technologies
for marine mammals and automated detection and classification methods that can
be used to process the large amounts of data collected from these systems.  The
review will consist of the following topics:

  1. Fixed Autonomous Underwater Recorders
  2. Fixed cabled and radio-linked hydrophones (and hydrophone arrays) 3.
Automated detection & classifications methods (e.g. computer algorithms).

We are requesting information from list-members on these technologies and
techniques, particularly those that may not be published in the peer-reviewed
literature and/or products or efforts that are not otherwise easily available.
In return we would be willing to provide anyone with information an extensive
bibliography on these topics as an endnote (bibliographic database) or text
file.

We have provided some additional details on each of these 3 topics below.

  1. Fixed Autonomous Underwater Recorders

Please include information about the development of the device; capability to
record other types of data besides sounds; ability to automatically
detect/classify/localize sounds; depth rating including maximum deployment depth
(m), instrument retrieval and deployment configuration; maximum deployment time;
maximum sampling frequency; type of power supply and energy capacity; type of
data storage; data format; microprocessor used; custom software used, if any;
examples of species studied; number of channels; system configuration, including
dimensions and weight, deployment, and other retrieval issues; any known noise
issues; availability; and potential areas for further development.

  2. Fixed-cabled and radio-lined hydrophone systems

We are interested in information about commercial, non-profit and academic
efforts to develop, operate, and use fixed cabled hydrophones and radio-linked
hydrophones for monitoring marine mammal sounds.  We are especially interested
in reports and unpublished information about the design and application of these
technologies for marine mammal studies.  Information about commercial products
and services are welcome if they are relevant to the topics listed above.

  3. Automated detection & classifications methods (e.g. computer algorithms).

We are looking for information regarding software or algorithms that can be used
for the automatic detection and classification of marine mammal sounds (ie whale
calls, dolphin whistles, echolocation, etc).  Although any details would be
helpful, we are specifically interested in detailed information about methods
used and the success rate/false positive rate of detection and classification
algorithms, audio formats supported user-friendliness of the software, whether
the software can be used in real-time, for post-processing or both, and
availability and cost of the software.  Also, any references or reports either
describing the software or studies in which it has been used would be greatly
appreciated.

Please respond to:

We appreciate any replies.

Cheers,